PAN card Link to Aadhar Card: How and why you must do it
With the mandatory implementation of Aadhaar, the Aadhaar card is now the most important document for any Indian citizen. Not only is it a unique identity card, but it also doubles up as a single source of tracking and recording transactions performed by an individual.
If you want to apply for an Aadhaar card, the process is simple and free of cost. All you have to do is fill in an enrollment form and submit it with necessary documents at an enrollment centre near you. Once this is done, biometric profiling is performed to capture fingerprints and the iris scan of every applicant.
After this, a tracking number is provided, through which the Aadhaar update status can be checked to track the progress of your application.
It usually takes 90 days for the Aadhaar card to be delivered. In case it gets delayed, one can also download and use the online Aadhaar card available on the UIDAI website.
List of documents that need to be linked to the Aadhaar card
The resident Aadhaar card which contains a 12 digit unique number needs to be linked to various important documents as per Governments instructions.
To make the Aadhaar database more comprehensive and complete, the Government has mandated linking of the following documents:
- Bank account: Aadhaar card link to bank account is perhaps the most important task that needs to be performed with your Aadhaar card. It is mandatory for banks to perform Aadhaar card verification before opening a new account and also for the existing accounts. The bank accounts will become inoperable if not linked with Aadhaar within the deadline
- Aadhaar link to PAN card: To get the IT returns processed, it is mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN. Failing this, the returns filed by the assessee shall not be processed by the IT department
- Link to SIM card: It is also mandatory to link Aadhaar to mobile number. E-KYC based on Aadhaar needs to be registered for all subscribers. Aadhaar is mandatory for all new phone and mobile connections
- Mutual fund investments: It is mandatory to link accounts operating mutual funds with Aadhaar as mandated by the Prevention of Money Laundering Act
- Death certificate: Every death certificate will need to have the Aadhaar number of the deceased. This has been done to ensure that benefits of any subsidies are not being claimed in the name of the deceased
- Government-funded schemes: Having an Aadhaar number is mandatory to avail benefits under various Government schemes such as Atal Pension Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana etc.
- Link with Ration card: It is mandatory to link ration card with Aadhaar number to avail benefits at subsidized rates
In addition to the documents mentioned above, the Government is working towards bringing more services under Aadhaar linkage plan.
- Is there any enrollment fee for Aadhaar?
No, Aadhaar is free of charge.
- How much time does it take for Aadhaar card to be generated?
The usual turnaround time is 90 days from the day of biometric profiling.
- What is the official website for Aadhaar?
https://uidai.gov.in/ – Is the link to the official Aadhaar website.
Go ahead and link your Aadhaar with all the documents mentioned above, and keep yourself updated with any new requirements which come up without waiting for the deadline.