Benefits of linking PAN card and Aadhaar card explained
Aadhaar card is a 12 digit unique identification card that is issued to all Indian citizens by the Government of India. With an aim to provide one single form of identification to all Indians, the ambitious project of Aadhaar was rolled out in 2009 after which more than 1.13 billion Aadhaar cards have been issued. It is now mandatory to link PAN card with Aadhaar card, mobile numbers, bank accounts and other facilities.
Easy steps to apply for Aadhaar
To apply for the card, you need to fill the Aadhaar enrollment form that is available for free and submit it to your nearest Aadhaar enrollment centre along with all necessary documents like proof of residence, birth certificate etc. This is followed by biometric profiling at the centre itself.
The application can also be submitted online on the Aadhaar website along with necessary documents. Post this, one can visit the nearest Aadhaar enrollment center to complete the biometric formalities.
Why is Aadhaar card link to PAN important?
The Aadhaar card link to PAN has been made mandatory by the Supreme Court. In order to be able to file IT returns, quoting Aadhaar number will be compulsory for assesses. In case of non-availability of Aadhaar number, the returns will not be processed by the IT department.
The IT department has given temporary relief to the citizens by deciding not to cancel PAN numbers which are not linked to Aadhaar. However, this relief will be withdrawn once the IT department decides to do so.
Steps showing how to link PAN card with Aadhaar card?
You can link PAN Card with Aadhaar by following the steps below:
- The details can be updated on the IT website – incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button on the left side of the page
- A new page will open, where you can enter the necessary details and link your Aadhaar
- If you are already registered in the income tax e-filing portal, then you can directly update the card details by logging into your account and clicking on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option which is available below the ‘Profile settings’ tab
- Once can also make PAN card link Aadhaar card by sending an SMS as per the below format:
UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN> and send to 567678 or 56161
Benefits of linking Aadhaar to PAN
- The PAN card Aadhaar seeding will make it easy to file IT returns. Once the Aadhaar card is linked to PAN, there will no longer be a need to send the acknowledgement slip of the return to the IT department
- This helps the Government keep a check on the menace of multiple PAN numbers of a single individual and to control tax evasion
- Is it mandatory to link Aadhaar card and PAN?
Yes, it is mandatory to link the two.
- Can the link be done online?
Yes, the two documents can be linked online itself.
- What will happen if I do not link my PAN with Aadhaar?
You will not be able to file your IT returns, and your PAN may get cancelled if it is not linked to Aadhaar.
Linking Aadhaar and PAN card is simple and does not involve any fees. It is best to link the documents immediately without waiting for the deadline so that the process is hassle free, without any last minute worries.