Mandatory Documents Required to Apply for Passport
A passport is an important document you must have not only because it is a mandatory document for traveling but it will also serve as an identification and proof of your citizenship.
Now, if you require a passport, there a 2 ways you can get it through tatkal and the normal way, however, both these methods will require you to submit a few important documents
Let’s look at the Documents required for a passport
The document required for a passport will change based on your age, as an adult, you will be required to submit a different set of documents and as a minor, you will have to submit a slightly different set of documents.
As an adult, you will have to submit an address, proof, date of birth proof, citizenship proof only if an individual applying is not born in India. These can be surfaced through the following documents:
Any one document from this list for Address proof
*Note: All documents must be in the name of the applicant
- Water Bill
- Landline or postpaid mobile bill
- Electricity bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Election Commission Photo ID card
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letterhead (Public limited companies only)
- Spouse’s passport copy, provided the applicant’s present address matches the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport
- Aadhaar Card
- Registered Rental Agreement
- Photocopy Passbook of active Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks, and Regional Rural Banks only)
Date of birth proof:
- Birth certificate issued by Municipal Authority or District Office of Registrar of Births & Deaths.
- School leaving certificate or Secondary School leaving certificate, Certificate of Recognized Boards from school most recently attended by the applicant.
- An affidavit signed by a Magistrate/Notary stating date/place of birth as per the specimen in Annexure ‘A’ (in case educated until 5th standard or lesser).
- Permanent Account Number
- Driving license issued by the state government’s Transport Department
- Voter ID card or Election Photo Identity Card
- Service record or Pay Pension Order with DOB
- Policy Bond issued by the Public Life Insurance firms
Documents required for passport if Minor:
In addition to poof of Date of birth such as Birth certificate issued by Municipal Authority, school leaving certificate or Affidavit signed by a Magistrate/Notary stating date/place of birth as per the specimen in Annexure ‘A’ the below documents will need to be furnished:
- Current address proof in the name of the parent or parents
- Original and self-attested copies of the parents’ passport
- Documents of minors will have to be attested by parents.
- Until the minor is 18 years old, he/she will be eligible for Non-ECR passport wherein Emigration check is not required.
- Original documents along with self-attested photocopies of the originals
- A Declaration confirming the details mentioned in the application about the minor applicant as per Annexure ‘D’.
After reading the above article, you’ll be clear about the documents you need to submit. In addition to this, you should know that the government as also introduced the m-passport sewa app, which is a mobile app you can use to access your passport information. The Government has also introduced and proposed a lot of changes to the passport rule that has made the passport application process a lot simpler and easy.