If you have an EPF account and have been switching busy jobs often, you may not be keeping track of your EPF balance. Let us tell you that its essential to conduct a periodic EPF enquiry so that you know how much retirement savings you accumulating in your EPF account. Let us assure you that it’s a very easy task now and there are multiple ways in which you can make a Provident Fund balance enquiry:
- EPF balance enquiry SMS: You simply need to send an SMS with the message EPFOHO UAN ENG to 7738299899. ‘ENG’ stands for the first three letters of the language in which you wish to receive the EPF enquiry. Other than English you can choose Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Bengali. You can use this facility only if EPFO has a record of your UAN and it is linked to your bank account, Aadhaar and PAN. Otherwise, you need to request your employer to do this for you.
- EPF balance enquiry UAN: You can make a PF status enquiry with your UAN in many ways. To use this facility, your account must be tagged and verified with your Universal Account Number (UAN) and activated by the employer.
On an EPFO portal: You can download or print the PF passbook with monthly updates here. (Note that this is different from the unified portal).
Steps to access the passbook for PF balance enquiry status:
1: Go to www.epfindia.gov.in, or to
2: Click ‘For Employees’ under ‘Our Services’
3: Click ‘Member Passbook’ under ‘Services’
- The page below will open, for your EPF enquiry.
If you are a member of establishments that are exempt under the EPF Scheme, 1952 and try to use this facility, you will get this message: “Passbook not available to this Member-id as this pertains to the exempted establishment (i.e. Trust). Requested to contact your employer.”
- EPFO balance enquiry on m-Sewa EPFO app:
o Download this from the app from Google Play Store
o Click ‘Member’
o Click ‘Balance/passbook’
o Enter your UAN and registered mobile number
- PF status enquiry by a missed call with the same mobile that you use for UAN registration:
o Register yourself for UAN at https://unifiedportal.epfindia.gov.in/
o Give missed call on 011-2290-1406 from your registered mobile number
o You will receive an SMS with the details of your Employees Provident Fund balance enquiry.
EPFO balance enquiry without UAN
There are ways in which you can do this:
- Via Member portal: You can use this method if you have forgotten your UAN login or the information required to access the passbook on UAN portal. The member portal does not require specific login credentials. Steps to follow:
- Login in with the KYC document number that you used during registration and your mobile number
- To access EPF passbook, enter EPF account no., captcha and click ‘Get Pin’ button
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number
- Use OTP to download EPF passbook
- Via EPFO website: This is the traditional method of EPF balance enquiry online by name. Steps are:
- Register on EPFO website
- Click tab: ‘Get Pin’
- You will receive a PIN on your mobile number.
- Enter PIN
- Then login using a mobile number or document number
- Click ‘download e-passbook’
- Choose PF office state according to your state
- Choose PF office from the displayed list for the EPF enquiry
- Select or enter your company PF code
- Enter your PF account number
- Enter your name as per EPFO records
- Click ‘Get PIN’ again
- You will receive PIN again on your mobile
- Enter PIN
- After three working days the e-passbook, with your EPF enquiry, with will be available on the page
Benefits of EPFO balance enquiry: This process helps you keep track of how much money is available in your EPF account so that you can plan your retirement finances well.
It is advisable to do this process periodically so that you are in the know about your balance, as it is now very easy and quick.