How to track driving licence status and apply for a duplicate DL if needed
Thinking of a driving licence search by name? Well, there is no way that you can do a drive licence check by name. However, you can always contact your RTO (Regional Transport Office) where the licence has been issued for more assistance. You can also check the online Parivahan website and in case you have your application number against your application for a driving licence, you can track the status.
Instead of a driving licence search by name, you can check the status online without any hassles. This is helpful when you have already applied for the licence but are unaware of the status. You can check the status by visiting your RTO or even online. Visit the Sarathi website maintained by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
Here are the steps towards obtaining your driving licence status-
- Go to the state transport department’s official website
- Find the link- Check the status of your driving licence. This is the link you need to go instead of trying a driving licence search by name and address.
- Select this link, enter your driving licence number, date of birth and the State for getting all the details.
- You can also visit the Sarathi site for finding your driving licence status
- Here there is a section Status of Licence where you have to enter your driving licence number, date of birth and State. You cannot search driving licence number by name India.
- Enter all necessary information and submit the same.
- Your driving licence status will be shown thereafter
You should thus keep in mind that the RTO will be sending the driving licence after a period of around two weeks post clearing the driving licence test. Also, instead of attempting to find the DL status by name, it is a better option to check the status via the steps mentioned above.
You can also check the RC Status online if you want. This is the Registration Certificate that is issued whenever any motor vehicle is registered. This is the proof that a vehicle belongs to a particular individual. Instead of going by driving licence details by name, you can check the RC status online as well. Check whether your vehicle is registered under your own name. If a used vehicle has been bought, the ownership of the same should be promptly transferred and your name should be shown in the registration certificate.
You should visit parivahan.gov.in and follow these steps-
- Go to the Online Services section and find the option Know your vehicle details. Once you choose this, you will find another page opening where the RC status check is available.
- You have to enter the vehicle registration number first and choose the Submit
- The RC status will be displayed to you instantly.
Here’s how you can apply for a duplicate driving license in case you have lost/misplaced your driving license-
- You can fill up and submit the LLD form and will have to upload all vital documents.
- You will have to print out the filled up LLD form and attach your photograph before signing it.
- Submit this at the RTO Office where you originally got your driving license along with other documents.
- The duplicate driving license will be dispatched to your home address through post and you can use the receipt in place of the driving license until you get the duplicate DL.
- A nominal fee is required for getting the duplicate DL.