Things to do when your driving licence is lost
Fretting over a lost driving licence? This is one situation faced by many people in India often due to unavoidable circumstances, emergencies or sheer carelessness. To err is human and hence you should be aware of the steps needed to fix the issue. For those asking lost my driving licence how to get another one, there is a simple solution at hand.
If you have lost driving licence, here’s what you should do-
- Visit the relevant police station which has jurisdiction covering the area where the licence has been lost
- File a complaint and make sure that you have a copy of the First Information Report or FIR
- Visit the Notary Office for obtaining the stamp paper affidavit which proves that you took the oath in front of the notary public/executive magistrate/first class judicial magistrate that you have lost licence
- A nominal charge has to be paid for getting the stamped paper and notary service
Now, you have to know how to apply for lost driving licence. This process involves the following-
- Visit your nearest RTO and ensure that you have three passport sized photographs
- Have a copy of the FIR if you have lost my driving licence and also the affidavit
- Visit the RTO enquiry counter and collect your application form for the duplicate licence
- Fill up the application form and submit the same at the driving licence branch in addition to other documents
- Post this you will have to take the Biometrics process
- Your photograph will be clicked here and your thumbprint will be taken accordingly
- The duplicate licence will be delivered within a particular time period as mentioned by the Assistant RTO officer
These steps will help those wondering how to get lost driving licence. You will have to pay a charge for the new Smart Card or Driving Licence Book. Make a laminated copy of the new driving licence once you receive the same. In case you already have the duplicate copy, the RTO can easily track all the details with the use of the driving licence number.