What to do in case of Lost Passport
The Indian passport as every passport owner knows in an important document. The fact that contains your personal details like your name, address, your sex, and nationality further confirm its importance as the identity of an individual.
A Lost passport will give rise to an urgent need for you to get a new one issued. So let’s talk about how to Apply of the reissue in an event of lost passport in India
A Lost passport should immediately be reported to the nearest police station and the passport their passport abroad, it should be reported to the Indian Mission or at nearest Visa Service Center. You will also need to apply for the reissue of the passport and submit the required documents.
According to the MEA, a reissue of passport can take up to 7 days in cases where police verification is not needed, however, in case police verification is needed it can take up to 30 days to reissue a lost passport.
Documents Required for Lost Passport in India
- Affidavit with details about how a passport got damaged or was lost (Annexure ‘L’)
- No Objection Certificate (Annexure ‘M’)/Prior Intimation Letter (Annexure ‘N’)
- Current address proof
- Telephone bill
- Certificate from employer
- Water bill
- Election Photo ID card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Passport copy of spouse
- Aadhaar Card
- Parent’s passport copy
- Gas Connection
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Police report (FIR)
Date of birth proof
- Secondary School leaving certificate from the last school attended or an educational institution which is recognized
- Birth certificate issued by a municipal authority or an authorized office
- Semi-literate or illiterate applicants: Affidavit that was sworn before a notary stating the place and date of birth (Annexure ‘A’)
- Photocopy of the first and last pages of old passport (ECR/Non-ECR page), if available (optional)
- Passport-size photographs
Although it is not important to submit copies of the old passport, details such as place of issue, date of issue, passport number and date of expiry should be submitted with the passport application form.
How to Apply for a Duplicate passport in case of Lost passport or Damaged Passport?
Reissue of a lost passport in India can be applied online through the Passport Seva website managed by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
- Once you log into the portal, scroll to the option that says Online Services and select the type of service you need. Your options would include:
- Ordinary passport
- Diplomatic passport
- Police clearance certificate
- Identity certificate
- Surrender certificate
- Once you’ve selected the relevant option, you will be redirected to a page detailing the steps to be followed to apply online.
- Register on the Passport Seva Online Portal by clicking on the ‘Register Now’ link provided.
- Enter the information requested and create a new account, after which you will receive a link to activate your Passport Seva account.
- You will then be able to fill in the online form.
- Check the details before submitting the form.
- After you have submitted the form you will receive an acknowledgment that can be used to track the status of your passport application on the website.
You will also be required to pay a fee for the reissue of the lost passport. This fee will depend on the number of pages. If you require 36 pages it will cost you 3000 through the normal method and 5000 through tatkal. If you require a passport with 6. Pages it will cost you 3500 through the normal method and 5500 for tatkal.