PAN is a unique, 10-character alpha-numeric code, issued to all entities identifiable under the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961. This identity is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department, and it also serves as an important proof of identification. To make your PAN card application, you have two platforms: Online and Offline. The Online application can be made easily through the NSDL PAN Service.
Steps to complete an NSDL PAN application
Apply for NSDL PAN card online by following these simple steps:
- Visit the website at:
Fill up NSDL PAN card form number 49A. On the website of NSDL, PAN card details will be generated from this form.
- Make a payment using a Credit Card, Debit Card or Internet Banking. The fee for PAN application (inclusive Goods & Services Tax) for dispatch outside India is ₹ 1020. However, the fee for PAN which is to be dispatched within India is ₹ 110. The payment can also be made through a Demand draft drawn in favour of ‘NSDL-PAN’ payable at Mumbai
- Once the money is paid, an acknowledgement number is generated for reference. The acknowledgement receipt carries the required reference number. On the website of NSDL, PAN status can then be tracked via this reference number
- You are required to take a printout of this acknowledgement receipt and send it to the Income Tax Department
- Sign at the four specified positions on the completed form:
- Across the top left of the photograph (Do not sign over the face)
- Below the top right of the photograph, inside the box
- Across the bottom of the form, making sure that you are signing within the box
- On all the supporting documents including proof of Identity, Address, and Date of Birth
- Attach copies of the supporting documents including Proof of Identity, Proof of Address and Proof of Date of Birth in concurrence with the information you had provided in the form
- Submit/dispatch this complete application with the acknowledgement letter and the relevant documents to the Income Tax Department within 15 days from the date of online application to complete your NSDL PAN card apply. Also on the website of NSDL, PAN verification can be done with it!
- The envelope that you’re sending should be labelled– “APPLICATION FOR PAN –”.
- Paperless online PAN application facility based on eSign (i.e. Aadhaar based) and Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) has been provided to applicants enabling them to furnish their application for PAN online, upload scanned images of supporting documents, photo & signature and digitally sign the application online with this feature!
- The PAN card to the address mentioned on the form within 15-30 working days.