Guide to availing a PAN card for NRIs
Documents Required for PAN card application for NRI
In order to submit an application for a PAN card, the NRI applicants need the following documents:
- Two of their latest passport-sized photographs
- Copy of their passport
- Their overseas address proof
Procedure for NRIs to Apply for PAN
- In order to start the application process for a PAN an applicant has to log on to the TIN-NSDL or UTIITSL official website
- Being an Indian citizen, an NRI should use Form 49A to obtain a PAN
- The pan card application form, the necessary documents (photographs, proof of address, ID proof and proof of age) and a registration fee should be submitted
- After which an acknowledgment number will be generated which can be used to track the status of a particular application
PAN card application forms for NRI
To apply for PAN card in India, first, you need to visit the NSDL homepage.
There are two application formats available for NRIs:
1) 49 A
Pan card necessities for NRIs
- PAN Card is necessary for those NRIs who have taxable income in India.
- PAN Card is also mandatory for an NRI if they plan to invest in Mutual Funds.
- If an NRI wants to open an NRO or NRE account, they would need a PAN Card.
- When an NRI wants to purchase land or other property in India then too it is mandatory that they possess a PAN card.
The Do’s and Don’ts for NRI PAN Card application:
- Fill the application in black ink and in Block letters.
- Place your signature in the specified box.
- Provide the correct AO code.
- The name mentioned on POI and POA should match that of the application.
- Do not overwrite on the application.
- Do not use staples or pins to attach photos onto the application.
- Carefully fill out the details on the application in order to keep it neat.
- Make sure you do not put invalid details on the application which might result in cancellation.
NRIs who wish to possess any sort of taxable income in the country is expected to have a Permanent Account Number or PAN card. They need to provide certain specific documents while applying for a PAN card. If you are an NRI and wish to obtain a PAN card and therefore more information regarding it, this article will help you with all the important details concerning Pan Card for NRIs.