Employees in India pay a small share of money from their salary towards Employee’s Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Employers are also required to contribute to the employee’s EPFO so that it adds up to the savings. Usually, the employer shares the provident fund (PF) statement or EPFO status at the end of financial year. This statement contains the details of the account balance. EPFO has been an offline procedure for decades until the government brought it online recently.
The EPFO or Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation has been taking numerous initiatives for the benefit of its 5 crore subscribers. With the upgraded virtual EPFO service, you no longer need to wait for your employer to share the PF account balance with you. You can now opt for several options through the amazing modern facilities launched by EPFO in recent times!
How to Check your PF Balance
- Using EPFO Portal to perform an EPF Balance Check:
- Visit the website
- Click on e-Passbook option
- Enter your UAN and password, and the captcha
- Here, you’ll find the statement of the total PF amount deposited through each of your employer that includes the employee share & employer share. It’s a PDF file, and you can download it as a passbook too. You don’t even need your PF account number to do this!
- Via SMS
- Send an SMS from the registered mobile number that is linked to your PAN, UAN, & Aadhaar
For example: To know about your latest contribution, send an SMS “EPFOHO UAN ENG” to 7738299899
- This service is also available in local languages such as Marathi, Bengali, Punjabi, Telugu, Gujarati, Tamil and Malayalam. For help in Marathi, send an SMS EPFOHO UAN MAR to the same number. Similarly, it’ll be HIN for Hindi and PUN for Punjabi, etc.
- Via Missed Call
The simplest way is:
- Give a missed call to the PF balance check number on 011-22901406 from the registered mobile number
- You will receive an SMS with your latest EPFO contribution in just five minutes
- Via UMANG app
The government’s UMANG(Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) app lets you check your EPF Balance, apply for withdrawal, check EPFO status and much more.
Download & install the UMANG app
- Log in with your AADHAAR number
- Tap on EPFO
- Tap on ‘Employee Centric Services’
- Click on ‘View Passbook.’
- Enter your UAN number and OTP
- You can see the details of your employers here. Click on any one of them, and it will fetch all the required details
- Scroll to the bottom to find a download link to save the passbook.
These are a few simple ways to Know your EPF Balance through various online and offline methods.