What is UAN Number?
UAN is an abbreviation for Universal Account Number. It is a unique 12-digit number set up to help employees manage their Provident Fund accounts with ease.When an employee changes organizations his mutual fund member ID also changes, a UAN will act as an umbrella for the multiple member IDs allotted to an individual by the various organizations a person has worked in. The UAN number is allotted by the Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO).
All Employees need to generate UAN number by logging on to the EPFO online portal and seeding their bank account, PAN and Aadhaar number with the UAN. An employee can merge up to 10A PF accounts in one go.
Changing Your Mobile Number on the UAN Portal
In order to activate your UAN number, you will have to register your mobile number. Now what happened if you have registered your mobile number and decide to change your number in the future, How will you access your UAN account? The answer is simple. All you need to do is update your new mobile number by following the steps below:
- Log into the UAN portal using your UAN number and password
- On the homepage, click on “manage tool”
- Select “contact details” from the drop-down.
- Click on the “change mobile number” tab
- Type in your new mobile number.
- Re-enter the mobile number.
- Click on “get authorization PIN”.
- Enter the OTP that was sent to your new number.
- Click on “save changes” to complete the registration
If you have forgotten your UAN login password, you can follow these steps to change your mobile number and login to the UAN portal:
- Visit the UAN EPFO website portal.
- Enter your UAN number and click on “forgot password”.
- This will lead to another page where you will need to re-enter your UAN number and enter the captcha.
- Your existing mobile number will be visible, and it will ask you to confirm the number, click on “no”
- It will take you to a page that will display your name, gender, date of birth, KYC details, etc. Click on “verify”
- Enter your new mobile number.
- Click on “get authorization PIN”
Once you enter the PIN your new mobile number would be registered.
Another way to log into your UAN account after changing account number is by visit the EPFO helpdesk. Follow the below steps to do this:
- Visit the new EPFO website – http://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/
- Click on the Employees option tab
- Select “UAN Help-desk” from the drop-down menu, this will redirect you to a new web-page
- Select the problem type “Forgot Password and Mobile No. is Changed” from the drop-down menu.
- An online form would appear. Enter the following information such as – problem type, mobile, UAN, Member ID, Name, Date of Birth, Problem Matter etc.
- Click on Generate OTP. An OTP will be sent to the new mobile number that you will need to enter on the form.
- Enter the OTP and Submit the form online. A new password will be sent to your new mobile number
You can also raise a request to update your new mobile number offline by writing an application on the letterhead of your employer and submitting the application to the regional PF office.
Remember if you change your mobile number is important to update the same on the UAN portal. Doing this will help you manage your EPF account with ease. You will also be able to update and change other personal details once you have the right mobile updated on the UAn portal.