Steps for US passport renewal in India
To go ahead with US passport renewal in India, the applicant needs to reach the nearest US Consulate as per the user’s residence. The US Consulate Offices in India are available in Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai. For example, the applicant can visit the US embassy Chennai address to get its passport renewed in Tamil Nadu. The US passport renewal services in India offers the provision of US passport renewal for minors as well.
US Passport Renewal In India- The Requirements
Adhere to the rules and regulations set by the consulate so that people can avoid delays with regards to passport renewal.
- Download the Form DS-82 and fill it out completely. Keep in mind that one can only use this application form, if one fulfils the following criteria.
- Most recent passport can be submitted along with the form
- Most recent passport is not yet damaged
- Most recent passport was issued when at 16 years of age and above
- Most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years
- Most recent passport was issued in the current name or one can provide proofs for name change, if people have undergone through any
Otherwise, download the Form DS-11 instead.
- Evidence of US Citizenship
- In case of Form DS-82, the old passport can serve as the evidence of US citizenship.
- In case of Form DS-11, the old passport can serve as the evidence of US citizenship too but US birth certificate or certificate of naturalisation or certification of citizenship can also work.
- Colour Photograph (At Least Two)
- The photograph must be 2″ x 2″ in size, recently taken, within the last 6 months, and must have a white background
- Identification Proof (Driver’s License or PIO Card)
- Identification proof is not mandatory but might be required if the appearance has changed since the photograph in the passport was taken
- Name Change Proof (Marriage Certificate)
- If the applicant have gone through a name change due to marriage, they can bring their marriage certificate as proof of name change.
US Passport Renewal in India – The Procedure
- Go to the official website of the US Consular Services.
2.Select the country of residence at the time being, which would be India, and then the specific city consulate that one would be submitting the documents in.
- Click on the Make an Appointment button. On the next page, select the option stating ‘Passport services other than adding pages.’
- On the next page, fill in the required details, like the passport renewal slot booking time preferred, name, contact number, email address and more. Click on Continue. Check your email and take note of the password given for future references.
- Take a print of the the confirmation page and bring that on the scheduled appointment. Make sure keep this confirmation page as this is very important for your appointment.
- On the day of your scheduled appointment, make sure to reach the US Consulate offices in India or US Embassy at least an hour before the allotted time. Bring all the requirements mentioned above. Also prepare 110 USD for payment of the renewal of the passport.
- Get a number and wait for the turn once in the US Embassy or US Consulate office in India. Once called, submit the documents to the officer, pay the required fees and pick the passport up in about 7 to 10 business days time.
US Consulate Offices in India
|Chennai||Gemini Circle, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600006, India||+91 44 2857 4000||Mondays to Fridays (Except Last Wednesday of Each Month)||9:00 AM to 12:30 PM|
|Delhi||Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, Delhi 110021, India||+91 11 2419 8000||Tuesdays and Thursdays||11:00 AM to 12:00 PM|
|Hyderabad||1-8-323, Paigah Palace, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad, Telangana 500003, India||+91 40 4033 8300||Thursdays||2:00 PM to 3:00 PM|
|Kolkata||5/1, Ho Chi Minh Sarani, Park Street Area, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071, India||+91 33 3984 2400||Mondays to Fridays (Except Last Wednesday of Each Month)||10:00 AM to 3:30 PM (Break from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM)|
|Mumbai||C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400051, India||+91 22 2672 4000||Thursdays||2:00 PM to 3:00 PM|